Monday, February 18, 2008

Day 9-Weekends

I want to thank GOD for giving us weekends.
It’s not that I don’t like my job, and the only thing I have is the weekends.
In the one job I had that was absolutely miserable, I basically lived for the weekends. I had this feeling of dread each Sunday night, knowing that I was going to have to spend the next five days going through hell.
However, even when I have a job that I enjoy and I care deeply about, I know exactly when Friday comes. I count off full weeks, which are exhausting, and know that I can sleep in on Saturday.
The funny thing is that I rarely sleep well. I sleep much better on weeknights, but sleeping in is one of the key things on a weekend- I wake up Thursday morning and knowing that I only have one more morning to wake up.
I guess it is because we need two things: Rest and fun. Rest is an incredibly important thing to get, especially when your job has a lot of passion. When you give everything you’ve got for five days (which isn’t true, because there is always something in reserve) the weekends are great just for you, your partner, or your family.
The other reason is fun, which I believe is extremely important. Fun is what gives me energy, and makes it possible for me to be the man that GOD wants me to be. Take this weekend: This happened to be a three-day weekend, and a dear friend that I hadn’t seen for seven years had come back to the Bay Area. I got to spend two full days with him, doing the very thing we do most when we are together: Play Golf. The interesting thing is that is wasn’t the golf, which was poor at best (I now have a busted golf bag in one of my less glorious moments after a particularly poor shot), or that we had weather that was absolutely perfect (not to brag, but when it’s good here, it’s really good).
The best part was the talking. I picked him up and drove him to the golf course both times, and spent nearly an hour in the car with him both ways. I had another three hours after the round eating food with him, and then there were the two rounds that lasted more than nine hours together (closer to ten). GOD gives us time for ourselves on the weekend, and with that time we get to love the world he created with us.

No comments: