I want to thank GOD for my health. I realize that my health is something that can leave me at any moment, and health is fleeting. I’ve already experienced that when I went to an eye exam and found out that I had a blind spot, and was sent to an Ophthalmologist. I soon discover that I have glaucoma, and my eye sight is no longer guaranteed.
Even that was a blessing, because it would not have been caught through traditional methods. They usually test eye pressure, and if that is out of whack they send you to an ophthalmologist. I had normal eye pressure, but that was enough to cause nerve damage (glaucoma is essential nerve damage to the optic nerve). We caught it before it got too bad, which apparently was more severe than I first believed.
I had just come to grips with that, and I blood test revealed that I had a blood disorder (iron overload). Once again this actually was a fortunate thing, because if it had been allowed to go unchecked it could cause liver cancer, or senility (neither are good options).
The treatment for Iron Overload is bleeding. That summer I went to the doctor two days a week and a pint of blood was taken from me each time. Now that each treatment wasn’t so bad, but it wore on me as the summer wore on. Remember that every few days I had to drive to a doctor’s office so a nurse could stick a really large needle in my arm (which actually hurts).
I hated the treatments, but I also realized that I was lucky. I was at an Oncology clinic, which meant nearly everyone there was getting chemotherapy. As hard as it was for me, it was nothing like what they were going through.
Anyway, GOD has blessed me with good health, and I’m fortunate that I haven’t had any major problems. The problems that I’ve had are all caused by me (with the exception of glaucoma and iron overload, which are caused by my parents). I’ve had some knee injuries, and separated a shoulder. Those are sports injuries, and serve primarily to get me sympathy and stories.
Even with the glaucoma, I know that GOD has a purpose in it. I’m not sure what it is, but I know that there is always a good in challenges.
Saturday, February 23, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment